Are you interested in standardisation and in working in an international environment following new standardisation and policy developments in different areas and sectors? Are you interested in helping SMEs to influence the development of standards at the European and international level? Do you enjoy having personal contacts with a wide variety of stakeholders from business and European institutions? Are you fluent in English, have a flexible attitude and like to work in an independent way in a small team? Then you may be the new Small Business Standards (SBS) Standardisation Officer we are looking for to join our small team in Brussels!
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Monitoring standardisation activities and coordinating the work of SBS experts in European and International Technical Committees in a limited number of sectors.
- Monitoring and analysing policy developments at the European level in those sectors.
- Contributing ideas and drafting the SBS annual Work Programmes
- Liaising and leading the reporting activities to the European Commission (intermediary and final reports)
- Represent SBS in different meetings with external stakeholders when relevant
- Contributing to the organization of workshops, conferences and other SBS activities as required.
Qualifications, skills and competencies:
- University degree in economics, law, political science, international relations, or relevant related fields.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional work experience
- Understanding of the European Standardisation system and/or interest in learning about standardisation. Experience working for a national, European or international Standards Organisation or previous involvement in standardisation work is definitely and advantage.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) and ability to explain technical issues to a non-expert audience.
- Proven ability to work on different projects at the same time, manage and prioritise tasks and respect tight deadlines. Experience in dealing with European projects would be an advantage.
- Team player, confident in contributing ideas and with a hands-on and solutions-driven work attitude.
- Be able to take initiative and demonstrate pro-activeness.
- Fluent in English. Additional languages are an asset.
- Good computer skills, Word, PowerPoint and Excel in particular
What we are offering:
- A long-term, full-time contract (38 hours per week) under Belgian law
- Additional benefits including group insurance, hospitalisation insurance, meal vouchers and an attractive holiday package.
Flexibility and balance between work and private life are equally important for us. The job is based in Brussels, but SBS has implemented a policy allowing staff to mix office and teleworking.
The successful candidate will be required to start working as of 15 April at the latest.
Applications should be sent (info [at] sbs-sme.eu (email)) to the attention of Ms Maitane Olabarria, SBS Secretary General by Friday 24 March. The application should include a CV and a cover letter of maximum 1 page outlining your suitability for the role. Please include SBS Standardisation Officer in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and therefore early applications are encouraged. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Small Business Standards (SBS) is the European organisation representing and defending Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) in standardisation. Co-financed by the European Union and EFTA, SBS advises and supports SMEs and SME organisations across Europe on how best to influence the standardisation process at European and international levels.